Thursday, February 6, 2014

biggest loser???

Dear Biggest Loser,

I have spent countless hours on my couch tuned in to you. I've connected with your contestants, cheered them on, cried with them when they failed. I've found inspiration in your commitment to eating healthy and working hard. I've found motivation to learn about the food I eat, the exercise I participate in and how my body functions. I even grew to love Jillian so much that I voluntarily invited her into my living room to yell at me while working out.

You have also provided me with false expectations and a road full of failure so I'm breaking up with you. You present half truths. Yes working out 5 hours a day will help you lose weight but that isn't reality. People watch your show and feel inspired one minute and let down the next. A 120 pound weight loss journey should not only take seven months. You should not work out until you throw up, wipe your mouth and get back on the machine feeling proud. I realized 2 episodes into the current season (after said throw up workout) that you are no good for me. Then the finale happened. I log onto any news site and I see the following:

'Biggest Loser' winner: too thin?

'Biggest Loser': Uproar as winner appears too thin at 105 pounds

Social media erupt over 'Biggest Loser' winner

And it goes on and on and on. After turning you off your message still reaches me. You're too fat, lose weight. No, now you're too thin, gain weight. This is what happens. People get pushed...to be thin, to lose weight, to be the best, to win. I'm trying hard not to see myself in this situation. To realize that I'm different and I can rise above.

Maybe this will spark conversation about healthy and realistic weight loss. About lifestyle changes instead of diets. About being healthy instead of thin. About the women and men who set out to get healthy and get lost along the way.

I don't need you or any other reality show to show me how I should live.

No comments:

Post a Comment